Ronda is located in a hilly area about 750 meters above sea level.
The Guadalevín River runs through the city, dividing it in two and carving out the Tajo (gash) on which the city stands.
Ronda was first settled by the Celts, but its architecture reveals Roman and Moorish style.
Ronda has three bridges: San Miguel Bridge, the Old Bridge and New Bridge. The "New Bridge" may not be the most appropriate name since it was completed in 1793.
The New Bridge is the tallest of the bridges, has an altitude of 120 meters above the canyon floor.
An important site is the Ronda bullring, the oldest bullring of Spain which is still used, albeit infrequently. It was built in 1784 in neoclassical style by the architect José Martin de Aldehuela, who also designed the New Bridge.
Another important site are the Arab Baths, which are partially intact, are below the city and date back to the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries.